Home Page Forums Troubleshooting/Help Can't connect to mobots with BaroboLink

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  david_ko 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

msarris
    Participant

Hi,

I inherited some mobots from school. I have installed BaroboLink, but it will not connect with the mobots.

The mobots are on, with their switch in the ‘RUN’ position.
    The computer has a bluetooth dongle, which I have verified works.
    Windows 7 can connect via bluetooth to both mobots.

BaroboLink will not connect to either one. Going to try another computer, but I can’t figure out why Windows will connect but BaroboLink won’t. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Error message

david_ko
    Participant

Hello msaris,

I’m glad you found some Mobots! Mobot support in BaroboLink hasn’t been tested in some time. I’ll try and find an old version that will work with Mobots and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

In the meantime, you can still control Mobots with the old original PyBarobo Python module. The module is available here: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyBarobo

Unfortunately, the documentation for using the module with Mobots is currently a little sparse because we switched to Linkbots some time ago. The best way to use it right now would probably be to install the module, and then look at the source code in the module called “mobot.py” to see what member functions are available . A sample program should be something like:

import barobo

myMobot = barobo.Mobot()
    myMobot.connectMobotBluetooth(“00:00:00:00:00:00”)

myMobot.move(360, 0, 0, 360)

In the mean time, I will try my best to find an old version of BaroboLink that still works with Mobots.

Regards,
    David

david_ko
    Participant

Hello msaris,

Here is a link where you can find an archive of all of the previous versions of BaroboLink. Unfortunately, I don’t have any Mobots to test with, so I don’t know which ones will work, which is why I’m sending you a link to a zip file with all of them. I hope this helps!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-aGhmuYiGx0N0duaUdjdVBTNGc/view?usp=sharing

– David

msarris
    Participant

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your help. I was able to get BaroboLink to work with version 1.4
    The mobots connect and respond to commands. Awesome!

I downloaded PyBarobo and Python. I am having mixed results with this.

I tried the example code, while connected to a mobot through BaroboLink.
    I get the error “Did not receive response from mobot”

I double checked — connected in BaroboLink, double checked MAC address, and BaroboLink does move the robot.

Any ideas? I am using Python 3.4.

Thank you for your help. I will continue trying to get it to work.
    Thanks!

david_ko
    Participant

Hello msaris,

I’m glad you got BaroboLink working!

I’m not entirely sure what the issue might be, but I might actually try running the python script without BaroboLink running. So, without BaroboLink running, try something like this:

import barobo

myMobot = barobo.Mobot()
    myMobot.connectMobotBluetooth(“00:12:34:56:32:23”)
    myMobot.move(90, 0, 0, 90)

Unfortunately, I don’t have a Mobot here I can test with, but I think this should work. Good luck!

– David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.