Home Page Forums General LinkBot

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  david_ko 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello Barobo and Linkbot Fans,

I was thinking of pledging on the kickstarter page for either the $129 level, but I’m not sure if I want to shell out the dough for one module. Aren’t they kind of useless by themselves?

no, you can use your cell phone to connect to the linkbot and control it with the phone as you would with another linkbot. Also, you can still write your own code for the linkbot to execute.

David here, (software guy at Barobo)

The Linkbot modules still have a lot of functionality on their own. The C and Python libraries enable you to access every last input and output on the Linkbot, from the battery voltages to the accelerometer readings, LED colors, and even reprogramming the buttons to execute C/Python code. The default supplied Linkbot firmware has motor controllers that are able to rotate the motors at a constant velocity accurately between 0 and 120 degrees per second, and the C and Python functions can be used to control the motors. Of course, the motor controllers can also be bypassed by explicitly setting the motor power.

As an example, one could do some simple room/maze mapping by using the accelerometer readings as a simple “bump” detector. Or, the robot could be programmed to open blinds if it senses motion triggered by, say, a cat or a sleeping person. With the addition of sensor modules, the application scenarios get quite expansive. For instance, with an additional gyro, you might be able to turn the module into a tiny segway for a pet hamster.

Note too that all of the stuff I just mentioned can be done using the “easy” python interface. For users who are ready to dig into the Arduino level of the Linkbot, some true hacking may be done. For instance, a person could re-write the network communications protocol to talk to other Zigbee devices, write their own motor controllers, turn the LED short-range communication method, etc…

Hey there BadWolf,

As David was saying from the software side of things, there are a ton of things you can do with one module. On the mechanical side, since there are screw holes you can fabricate your own accessories out of cardboard or ply-wood. You could use the module to power a toy train, use gears to make a really fast car, create a turret (with a Linkbot-L), and more! These linkbots have some pretty serious torque which really opens up the possibilities.

I hope this has given you some cool ideas to try out!

-Brian O.

Forgive my naive question: I`m wondering if a robot controller with interface libraries could be built to enable creation of ROS Industrial Unified Robot Description Format applications
    I suspect this is not in your plans. I was just wondering if it`s possible [would not require a huge commitment from a group like yours]

Hi James!

We currently don’t have any plans to directly support ROS. However, we have heard rumors that one of our hackers/power users has managed to interface his Linkbot with a Raspberry Pi. I believe that the Raspberry Pi is compatible with ROS. Perhaps that might be an avenue towards implementing your idea?

Best of luck!

– David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.