Home Page Forums General Product History

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  harrishancock 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

agkg
    Participant

I am helping some K-12 students who have access to some old linkbots. I don’t see these appear on bluetooth. So I am not sure if that functionality is broken or they just didn’t have. Is there some place to find the product history e.g. were there any hardware upgrades, sensor upgrades etc. on the way to current version? It will help identify which version of Mobot they have.

agkg
    Participant

And I cannot connect to these mobots over USB with BaroboLink or PyBarobo on windows or linux. I get the error message “Could not find attached dongle” on both.

harrishancock

Hello,

We have phased out BaroboLink and no longer support it. To replace it, we developed a new software package called Linkbot Labs. If the robots you found look like this, then they are compatible with Linkbot Labs, which you can download from our Downloads page.

After you install and start Linkbot Labs for the first time, you will need to update the firmware on all of your Linkbots by clicking the “Start Firmware Updater” button in the lower left corner. Instructions will pop up on-screen to guide you further.

To get your computer to communicate with your Linkbots, you’ll need to plug in one of your Linkbots via USB. This gives your computer access to that Linkbot’s radio, and will allow you to communicate with any other Linkbot in the vicinity.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    Harris

agkg
    Participant

Thank you so much, Harris. I just followed your instructions, used LinkBot Labs 1.0.0, updated the firmware and it works. I had tried LinkBot Labs earlier but I didn’t feel comfortable updating the firmware so didn’t make progress. Looking at the picture, those are the same exact Linkbots I got. I am really excited now to see what we can do with these.

It was actually good to see that when I connected one of the LinkBots to computer, I could communicate with the others without a connection. That’s cool. Is that using bluetooth?

I also see some LinkBots with the label LinkBot like this. Are those newer models? If yes, what are the newer features?

Thanks again,
    -Aj

harrishancock

Hi Aj,

I’m so glad you got set up with Linkbot Labs successfully!

Robots labeled Linkbot have no additional features over robots labeled Mobot-I/Mobot-L. The only difference is the name printed on the front–Linkbot is the newer name, but we consider Mobot-Is and Mobot-Ls Linkbots as well.

The Linkbots use ZigBee radio hardware (IEEE 802.15.4) to communicate, which has some similarities to Bluetooth (both create personal area networks), but is better suited for maximizing battery life.

Harris

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.